Frequently asked questions
We're Going Cashless
This year we won't be accepting any cash in our F&B outlets or in guest services to purchase products.
Please ensure you have a debit or credit card, or you have loaded money on to your MyPass card prior to arriving on mountain.
If you are booked into a ski or snowboard lesson and need to change the date your are booked into, please follow the below link to reschedule.
Please note, due to limited capacity, not every date may be available. For private lessons we require 24 hours’ notice prior to your lesson time for rescheduling.
When is the ski season?
The New Zealand ski season runs from early June to October. Opening and closing dates vary depending on snow conditions.
- Opens Saturday 19 June
- Open 7 days a week 9am - 4pm
- First Tracks from 8-9am daily from 5 July - 12 September
- Night Ski on Wednesday & Friday nights from 23 June - 27 August.
- Saturday Night Ski on select dates 10, 17, 24 July and 14 August
- Scheduled Closing Date is Sunday 26 September
- Opens Saturday 26 June
- Open 7 days a week 9am - 4pm
Scheduled Closing Date is Sunday 17 October
Opens Friday 11 June
Open 7 days a week 9am - 4pm
- Mid-Week Season Pass available
Weekend First Tracks from 8-9am starting 3 July
Scheduled Closing Date is Sunday 17 October
What time does the mountain open?
Our lifts run from 9am-4pm every day, subject to weather conditions.
On Saturdays and Sundays from 3 July, First Tracks is available from 8am-9am for those that want to hit the slopes a little earlier!
You can opt for a First Tracks season pass add on or purchase First Tracks day passes from Guest Services.
How do I get there?
From Christchurch airport, it takes around 1.5 hours to travel to Mt Hutt via car. If you’re travelling from the nearby town of Methven, then this is about a 30 minute drive.
Due to the alpine nature of our access road, we require that snow chains are always carried in your vehicle, in the event of a quick weather change. There is a chain fitting area located at the bottom of our access road.
If you’d prefer to take the bus, you can catch the Mt Hutt Ski Bus operates from both Methven and Christchurch. From Methven there are two departure times each morning, one at 7.45am (perfect if you’re hoping for some morning Snowsports lessons) and 9.45am. This is run by an external company, Methven Travel, and they offer a pickup service around the Methven Township too, just ask about the nearest stop to your accommodation. If you’d prefer the bus, then we recommend booking in advance due to limited spacing, and with the Mt Hutt Ski Bus kids aged 10 and under travel for free with a paying, accompanying adult!
Is there parking at the ski area?
We have ample parking at Mt Hutt, including our main car park and lower shuttle car parks. Parking and access to the ski area is completely free. On some of our busier days, if our main car park becomes full, parking will be available at our additional car park areas, with a free shuttle service running between the base area and car park areas. Information on our car parks and road status is updated in real time on our website for the most up to date information.
Where do I collect my pass?
To avoid queues on the mountain, we recommend collecting your MyPass card before you visit our mountains.
If you have a MyPass card from a previous season, you will be able to go straight to the lifts.
If you would like to have your pass mailed out to you free of charge, please make a request by filling out the form in the link below.
Alternatively you can collect your pass on mountain when we open.
What beginner terrain terrain can I find at Mt Hutt?
Our beginner’s area can be found in the base area and is accessible by both our Magic Carpet and Sun Kid surface lifts, which is great for first timers! When you want to start exploring a little more, further beginner terrain can be found on the lower mountain, which is accessible from our Exhibition Quad chairlift. This includes our Highway 72 slow zone, Inside Leg, with beginner terrain park features and Hood’s Hollow, complete with a tunnel!
What access does the Beginner Pass offer?
The Beginner Pass gives you access to our surface lifts only, this includes our Magic Carpet and Sun Kid lifts. If you would like to explore more beginner terrain using our chairlifts, then you’ll require a full mountain pass. If you’re not sure what pass is right for you, you can always opt for a Beginner Pass to start with, then upgrade you pass at Guest Services later in the day!
How can I hire Ski/Snowboard equipment?
Our on-mountain rental department offers a full range of skis, snowboards, boots, clothing, helmets and performance equipment. Renting from us on the mountain means you can store your equipment overnight free of charge and don’t have the hassle of taking your equipment to and from the mountain! Additionally, if you find throughout the days that you like to try a different size boot or ski, you can visit our rentals team who will be able to switch out your equipment at any time.
You can purchase your rental hire online and don’t have to book any specific dates, all you’ll need to do is visit Guest Services upon arrival to collect your pass, then head on through to see our friendly rentals team who will issue you with your equipment!
Please be aware that due to health reasons, Mt Hutt cannot rent gloves, hats or goggles. However you can purchase these at the retail shop on mountain.
How do I book lessons?
All our lessons are available for purchase online, or you can purchase with our Guest Services team over the counter, or call our Mt Hutt based call centre on 03 308 5074, to book over the phone, whichever is easiest for you. Our Call Centre is available 8am-4pm daily.
Where do I go for my lessons?
We have a designated meeting area for all Snowsports lessons in our base area, this is clearly marked with flags and is located close to the bottom of the Magic Carpet learners areas.
We recommend arriving for you lessons 10-15 minutes before your scheduled start time.
What do I need to bring?
Preparation is key to have a great day on the mountain, so when you pack for your first trip to the snow, remember to include:
- Boots or shoes with a bit of a tread for all family members.
- Dress warm! It can be a bit brisk on the mountain so it’s important to layer up. Thermals, (merino is a great base layer), a thicker mid-layer top and ski or hiking socks.
- Waterproof pants and a jacket are a must to keep yourself dry and to protect you from the changing conditions (rentals are available on the mountain).
- No one wants a goggle tan! Sunscreen and lip balm to protect you and your family from the UV rays so you do not end up with a goggle tan.
- Eye protection is important, even on cloudy days – and don’t forget goggles or sunnies for the kids!
- We strongly recommend wearing a helmet on the snow, you can hire one from us or purchase at the retail shop.
- Waterproof gloves.
- If you forget anything, almost everything you need is available right here on the mountain at our rental shop and retail Shop. And if you get hungry or thirsty, we’ve got you covered at our restaurant and café.
Are there restaurants on the mountain?
We have several food and beverage outlets on the mountain, including our Sixteen10 coffee bar, our Sky High Café, and Opuke Kai, all of which are found in the base lodge. If you’d prefer a mid-ski pit stop, you can find our Corona Bar located half-way down the mountain at the top of our Highway 72 and Broadway runs.
What's Included in the 3 Peak Pass
The 3 Peak season pass gives you unlimited skiing and snowboarding at Coronet Peak (including FREE Night Ski on Wednesday and Friday nights in July and August), The Remarkables and Canterbury's Mt Hutt ski areas. See below for pass details.
Your 2020 3 Peak Pass includes all of these benefits:
- 3 Peak Pass holders receive 50% off single day passes at all Mountain Collective resorts for the 2020/2021 ski season.
- 20% off standard lift pass prices at Ohau Ski Field for 2020.
- 10% discount at the Snow Shop retail outlets on mountain (offer does not apply to sale items or other special offers)
- 10% discount at the ski repair workshop on mountain.
- If you purchase a 3 Peak Season Pass during the 2020 Earlybird sale, you are entitled to a discounted 2 hour or 3 hour private lesson at Coronet Peak and The Remarkables in Queenstown. 2 Hour Private Lessons are available for $299 and 3 Hour Private Lessons are available for $399. This discount is only available to those who purchase a 3 Peak Pass before 31st March 2020, and is a separate offer from any other promotion(s).
- 2019 and 2020 Season Pass holders can ski for free at the Kiroro Ski Resort for the duration of their stay if they are staying at the Kiroro Ski Resort.
- Pass Protection costs an additional $40 and can be added to your 3 Peak Pass at the time of purchase. Terms and conditions apply.
Age is as of 1st June for the season in which you purchased for. All lift users require a MyPass card. Photographic ID will be required.
- Youth is 6 – 17yrs inclusive. If currently attending high-school and 18 years, a Student Pass applies.
- 5yrs and under ski or ride for free at Coronet Peak and The Remarkables.
- 7 yrs and under ski or ride free at Mt Hutt.
- Student is 18+yrs enrolled full time (minimum 32 weeks in a calendar year) with a New Zealand or Australian tertiary institution. Student ID & proof of full-time status (letter from institution) is required. ID card must be in English & include a valid expiry date. ISIC cards are not accepted.
- Senior is 65–74yrs of age. Photo ID will be required.
- Guests 75yrs of age or older, on day of purchase, ski for free. Please collect a complimentary lift pass from the ticket office. Photo ID will be required.
Pass Protection costs $40 and can be added to your 3 Peak Pass or Mt Hutt Pass purchase. Pass protection is your injury/medical cover and provides for full or partial refund of the season pass where an injury, medical condition or travel ban imposed by regulatory bodies, precludes or significantly limits ability to use the pass throughout the entire season.
Refund applications for injury or medical reasons must be made by completing the NZSki season pass refund form available from any of our guest services team. The form must be supported with a doctor's certificate or other evidence acceptable to NZSki. NZSki reserves the right to obtain independent medical advice to validate any claim. The value of refunds will be calculated based on the use of the pass according to the table below and in conjunction with the following expiry dates. There will be no refunds after 6 weeks from the pass holders first day of pass use. There will be no refunds after 31 August of each season. Refunds extend to the value of the pass type purchased only and do not cover any ancillary or other associated costs. The pass protection add-on is regarded as an ancillary cost. Refunds will be made to the credit card used to purchase the pass and the pass will be cancelled.
0 days (pass not used) 100%
1 day – 87.5% refund
2 days - 75% refund
3 days – 62.5% refund
4 days - 50% refund
5 days – 37.5% refund
6 days - 25% refund
7 days – 12.5% refund
8+ days - no refund
First Tracks Add On
The corduroy is calling!
A Coronet Peak First Tracks season pass can be added on to your 3 Peak Season pass for access to the Coronet Express from 8am - 9am daily from late June / early July through late in the season.
A Mt Hutt First Tracks season pass can be added on to your 3 Peak Pass or Mt Hutt season Pass, but is a separate product to the Coronet Peak First Tracks product. Mt Hutt First Tracks gives you access to from 8am - 9am on Saturdays and Sundays from late June through to late in the season.
The operation of First Tracks is subject to the availability and operation of the lifts and to snow and weather conditions. Access to trails will be subject to operational requirements, weather and snow conditions, and any scheduled race/events.
Coronet Peak and Mt Hutt do not guarantee the operation of First Tracks on any particular day.
If you have already purchased your season pass, please contact our guest services team to add a First Tracks Season Pass to your MyPass Account.
Cancellations, Refunds, and Transfers
Evidence of full-time enrolment at a New Zealand or Australian learning institution is required at the time of pass collection by presenting your student ID card and proof of full-time status.
Your MyPass card is your lift pass to ski and snowboard at Coronet Peak, The Remarkables and Mt Hutt ski area plus you can add MyPass money to your MyPass card making it your on-mountain debit card.
Your personal MyPass account provides you with ability to add MyPass money, view your daily skiing and snowboarding statistics and other account details.